Joy Neely is a Business Development Director for a market access company, TrialCard. She’s lived in Indianapolis for eight years; after a short move from here to Chicago, she realized how much she loves the city and returned. Joy has been married to her husband Preston for 20 years and they have two daughters, Madeline and Lexi.
Joy has two personal connections to the Komen mission: she was diagnosed with stage I breast cancer in March 2014 and also lost her paternal grandmother to metastatic breast cancer when she was nine years old.
Three years out from diagnosis, surgery and reconstruction, Joy says she is still reminded every day about the impact of this disease. She takes oral medication to reduce risk of recurrence and will continue this regimen for many years to come. Joy says her diagnosis reminded her how precious life is and how important it is to live life every day with “NO REGRETS.”
Joy is involved in Project Pink to promote awareness, treatment and research, and to advocate for women on their breast cancer journeys.
“Komen helps promote awareness of breast cancer and the importance of a woman knowing her body and the warning signs for breast cancer,” Joy said. “Approximately 250,000 new cases of breast cancer, all stages, are diagnosed annually. One in 8 women will have breast cancer in their lifetime. Early diagnosis is often indicative of better outcomes. Komen Central Indiana is committed to helping those on their cancer journey have access to the treatments they need. Dollars raised here – stay here! Komen is investing in research for both early breast cancer and metastatic breast cancer, helping support better treatments so women and men with breast cancer can live life more fully. Komen advocates for all women on their breast cancer journeys, both early breast cancer and metastatic breast cancer – giving this disease a voice.”
- Favorite vacation spot: The British Virgin Islands; We have made great memories there with our family and friends. The islands are beautiful and the people there are warm and welcoming.
- Favorite watering hole in Indy: A tough one, as there are so many great spots in Indy. Right now, I love “The Well” in Fishers because my daughters love to go there and hang-out with me. They are both teenagers, so this is a big deal!
- Random fact: I am obsessed with sunsets. The world stops for me when there is a beautiful sunset to take in.
- Dream car: A Convertible or Jeep Wrangler; any vehicle where I can drive with the top down and wind in my hair and sun on my face.
- Favorite color: Aquamarine