Executive Director– Position Announcement
Position Title: Executive Director (ED)
Posting Date: September 30, 2019
Reports to: Board of Directors
Closing Date: October 25, 2019 – subject to extension
Compensation: Competitive, including health insurance, vacation, other benefits
Organization Overview: Every 13 minutes a woman dies from breast cancer in the United States, making it the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women. Susan G. Komen® has changed how the world talks about and treats breast cancer – In 1982, people wouldn’t even say the words “breast cancer” aloud. Komen is the only breast cancer organization attacking the disease on all fronts: in research, community outreach, education, advocacy and global work.
Susan G. Komen® Central Indiana is the local affiliate of the international organization and raises and grants funds locally with an outstanding corps of volunteers, a staff of six, and a total budget of $1.8 million. Komen Central Indiana conducts a community needs assessment every 4-5 years to make sure that community grant funds are making the biggest impact where they’re needed the most. Grant programs, including an Education & Linkage to Care program and a Continuum of Care Navigation program, help women and men in the community connect to necessary resources to enter, remain in, and successfully complete the Breast Cancer Continuum of Care.
75% of net proceeds go to our community grants program that serves 41 central Indiana counties. The remaining 25% of proceeds fund global research grants seeking the causes, improved treatments and cures for breast cancer. There are 6 active Komen research grants in Indiana totaling more than $16.1 million at institutions including Indiana University, Purdue University and University of Notre Dame.
Position Description: Reporting to the Board of Directors, the new Executive Director provides primary leadership for the ongoing management of the organization, including strategic planning, program delivery, funding strategy and execution, board development, and day to day operations. More specifically, the Executive Director is responsible for:
- Community grants, education, outreach and mission related
- Fund Development
- Public Relations and communications – the Face of the organization
- Organization Management Responsibilities
- Board Support
- Partner with Komen Headquarters
Qualifications: The Executive Director will show a commitment to the mission of Komen. Candidates should possess most of the following qualifications:
- 10 years progressively more responsible professional roles, including at least five years of supervisory or leadership experience. Bachelor’s degree in related field or extensive experience as substitute. Prefer advanced
- Ability to be strategic and maintain a view of the whole Affiliate while managing day-to-day operations
- Desire to shape public issues and enliven public debate
- Strong understanding of our central Indiana service area and diverse populations
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives
- Public health education and programming preferred
- Grant making
- Strong written and verbal communications skills. A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project
- Experience developing partnerships and working collaboratively with complementary organizations, both nonprofit and for-profit
- Able to assemble and manage a financial budget
- Project development and management
- Experience working and directing the success of volunteers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Prior experience working with or reporting to a board of directors
- Travel, evening and weekend work are required for this position
- High energy, positive, motivator
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed
- Great consensus builder, support and share leadership
- Unwavering commitment to quality evidence-based programs
- Organizational skills with thoroughness, timeliness, and detail when working under pressure
Application Process: To apply, provide resume, cover letter, salary requirements, industry references and responses to several key questions to the Komen Central Indiana Board President at: email@example.com. Komen encourages applications from qualified persons of all races, backgrounds, disabilities, and veterans. Organization information at: www.komencentralindiana.org.
Please provide responses in a Word or Adobe PDF document to the following key questions:
- Briefly share why you are interested in this position and your connection to breast cancer.
- As a fund raiser and grantor, Komen works with Cancer and health related organizations across its 41-county area. Talk about your experience working in partnerships and collaborative efforts.
- Komen has a very strong volunteer history and culture. In fact, Komen was raising significant funding through the race before hiring their first staff person. What experience do you have that will equip you for effectively leveraging this volunteer/staff dynamic?
- Komen is a high-profile name and event in central Indiana. Share how your experience has equipped you to expand and nurture corporate relationships across the community.
- Komen has thousands of small donors and is just beginning to grow its major gifts efforts. Share briefly how you have been effective in developing an individual donor and major gift effort.
- In recent years, there have been many changes in the work of Komen Central Indiana, the field of healthcare, and the Komen affiliate network that require us to continuously learn and adapt. Share your experience in helping define and gain support for new ideas or new initiatives across a range of important stakeholders.