Debra Alexis Jefferson is a retired airline employee, formerly working at US Airways Airlines. A true Indianapolis native, she has lived in the city for her entire life! Debra says her life is enriched by God, her godchildren and a host of nieces, nephews and friends. Debra explains her connection to the Komen mission:
“When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2014, I didn’t want anyone to know what I was going through. I kept it a secret from some of my closest friends and from my church community as I sought a second opinion, changed doctors, and underwent several breast cancer-related surgeries in early 2015. My initial breast cancer journey was full of emotional highs and lows, but my faith helped me get through the toughest times.”
“I was ready to put this chapter of my life behind me when I got a call from a good friend, asking me if I would participate in Project Pink. At first, I wanted nothing to do with this event! Few people knew I had breast cancer and I wanted to keep it that way. But then I thought – what if I can help someone else by sharing my story?”
Debra raised more than $1,200 in support of Komen Central Indiana, becoming one of our top model fundraisers. Debra says she believes people should donate to Komen because of the stellar strides that are being made toward researching, reporting and assisting local people who are affected by cancer.
- In my dreams: I sometimes fantasize about what life would have been like if I had become a professional dancer. I LOVE to dance!
- Favorite vacation spot: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Favorite watering hole in Indy: Homes of friends and family
- Random fact: I am an avid crocheter. I can also come up with a song for about any topic with which to end your conversation (although I can guarantee it won’t be a current song).
- Dream car: A Lexus, similar to my middle name (Alexis)
- Favorite color: A tie between coral and fuchsia
- Bucket list item: To fly a kite!